News items from our Service Sheet
PLEASE NOTE: All news items should be sent to our Secretary in the Church Hall at email@example.com no later than 5pm on the preceding Wednesday, preferably by email or in writing. These should be as concise as possible as sheet content some weeks can be ‘heavy’. Priority will be given to items relating to Christ Church and St. Oswalds's, Newton matters – those relating to other activities can only be included if space permits.
Please contact the Vicar for arrangements for Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals.
NEWS FOR THE PEWS
The Funeral Service for Peter Greenwell takes place in Church on Monday 11th December at 11.45am.
- Café Church Café Church 10th December - Please join us for an Advent Café Church starting with Coffee and Cake at 4pm in Church (pantomime in Hall). We will be thinking about Isaiah 9.1-7 'The Coming King'. Tea for younger children and discussion groups/activities for older children. Further details from Nick Land (01642778076)
- WI Carol Service takes place in Church on Monday 11th December at 2.00pm.
- O Come All Ye Singers...The choir is gearing up for our Christ Church Carol Service on Sunday 17th December at 6pm, the lovely St Oswald's Newton under Roseberry Carol Service on Thursday 21st December at 7.00pm and Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. Would you, or someone you know, be interested in joining us over the Christmas period and helping to make the music at our services particularly special? If so, Andrew and the choir would be delighted to hear from you. Details of rehearsals to follow but there will be practices on the same day as each of the two Carol Services and singers are also warmly invited to join us at our usual choir practices at Christ Church each Thursday evening as we get to know the music. The choir is a friendly group and rehearsals are intended to be enjoyable and fun, as well as productive. Please catch Andrew or a member of the choir after the service (or contact Andrew at firstname.lastname@example.org) for further details.
- Mince Pies These have become a traditional feature (along with mulled wine) after our annual Carol Service here at Christ Church. This is not a competition to see who can make the best mince pies but an opportunity for you to do a practice run for Christmas by baking a batch (or two) for after the service next Sunday evening. This is an ideal opportunity for you to invite a non-Church going neighbour or friend to a service they will really enjoy.
- Lights the little switches for use with keys for the lights, if you switch them off please turn them back on straight away as we are unable to get them back on
- Unfortunately the Aldi/TerraCycle blister pack recycling programme has been suspended (too successful, maybe?) Thanks for participating over the past few weeks but PLEASE don't bring any more blister packs until we've found another recycling route.
- Coffee Lounge Communion Service, Tea, Refreshments and Chat Please join us in the Coffee Lounge at 2.00pm on the first Monday of each month. Everyone is welcome especially those for whom the 9.15am Sunday Service is too early!
- December Eco Tips ~Recycle this Christmas (and beyond!) Since more waste ends up in landfill over Christmas than during the rest of the year, it’s a great time of year to review and improve your own recycling set up at home. Different boroughs offer different recycling provisions, but you can find out exactly what you can recycle at home by entering your postcode here: recyclenow.com/recycling-locator
Christmas Services 2023
Thursday 14th December
2.00pm – WI Carol Service in Christ Church **
Sunday 17th December (morning services as normal)
11.00am - All Age Christmas Service at St Oswald’s, Newton
6.00pm - Christmas Carol Service at Christ Church**
Monday 18th December
7.00pm - Christmas Carols on the High Green
Tuesday 19th December
7.30pm – All Saints Carol Service**
Thursday 21st December
7pm – Christmas Carol Service at St Oswald’s, Newton*
(Appeal for Leo’s Neonatal Charity)
Friday 22nd December
10.00am – Marwood & Roseberry School’ Carol Service**
8.00am – Christmas Communion (Prayer Book Service)
2.00pm - Christmas Communion in the Coffee Lounge
5.00pm - Children’s Crib Service**
9.00pm - Christmas Communion at St Oswald’s, Newton
11.00pm - Midnight Mass of the Nativity
9.30am - Christmas Communion & Carols
** Denotes that a collection is taken for the Christmas Appeal for Anglican International Development working in Sudan.
Church Lights The new light switches are not wired in, but work on a radio signal going to the lights. To ensure it gets there properly, and not just to one half of Church, Please give a slow deliberate press. A quick stab may just turn half the Church on at a time.
Christ Church Visitors – If you know any member of the congregation (past or present) who would appreciate a regular visit from a member of the group please pass details to Rosemary Wheway on Tel: 01642 722451.
Coffee - is usually served after our 9.15am service. We are pleased to welcome visitors and newcomers to our church and you are welcome to join us in the Coffee Lounge in the Church Hall immediately following the service.
- Give to the Church with your phone via our QR Code
For Sunday's Bible Readings, please visit Service - Bible Readings